Thursday, November 3, 2011

Back to being aggressive

Hunting down jobs is never ending.  I make myself be creative and aggressive about it, but I feel like I've been stuck in a rut lately.  Peruse some job boards, see what comes across twitter, ping the usual network contacts... my move has been distracting, but let's face it- I still need a job.  I have amassed the contact info for some HR types that I know I should reach out to, but I'm fumbling over what to say.  Someone told me you hire people sometimes.  Why not me? That seems lame, but I've been procrastinating on this for too long.  To get myself in the mood for some cold calling, I am trying to find some good Seattle contacts to at least have some meetings/phonecalls/interviews lined up for when I move there (in a week and a half!).

The LinkedIn job boards were giving me nothing, but I did notice that one agency, and one woman in particular was posting most of the jobs I was bothering to look at.  So, why not? I asked to connect, and she asked for my resume.  Cool, that's good confidence building.

But what do I say to these other people?  I got your contact info from someone I barely know and I'd really love it if you could give me a job, or at least tell me about jobs I should bother applying to. A friend suggested I say I am relocating, and want to get a sense of the job market and offer to have a meeting.  Face to face is SO much better than emails and phone calls, so hopefully this will work for a few people. But, if someone agrees to meet with me, what do we talk about?  Ugh.  I'll save that panic for when I have that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment