Thursday, July 5, 2012

Do contractors ever get hired?

I am currently working on a contract in instructional design.  I write lessons for high schoolers and edit exam questions.  This is really fun; I get to learn about lots of different things, and it is a great way to get back to my early education that was standards based.  It's been going really well, outside of the usual contract drama (if I finish this today, can I still earn money tomorrow?).  I like the team, I like the work, and I like that they are located in Seattle.


I've heard mixed messages about transitioning from a contractor to a full-time employee.  On the one hand, being a contractor may indicate the work is unpredictable and unlikely to require a full-time person.  And working offsite makes it hard for employers to form a full impression of you.  At the same time, I'm objectively assessed on my work habits- that's the only thing they know about me.  And having a known entity come on board is less scary that seeing what you get from a job posting.  I've been thinking about how I could make this experience more stable for me- either by having some confidence in more long term contracts or getting hired.

My plan is to keep being as awesome as possible, staying in touch and reiterating how much I like the job.  And then to be clear about my intentions: I want a full-time job.  That's actually proving to be hard to drop casually into emails (again, the off-site conundrum.  These things don't just "come-up" around the water cooler). But they need some onsite work soon, so that may prove a better time to have those conversations (and figure out who to have them with).

No comments:

Post a Comment