Friday, September 16, 2011

Experiment 10:Meet with Recruiters

You may know I am targeting jobs out West.  Geography has certainly been a hurdle for my job hunt.  My network here doesn't know as much about opportunities on the other side of the country, and I think employers don't take me as seriously since I am not nearby.  This is one reason I've been using online technologies to connect with companies, jobs and recruiters- I know I won't just be running into these people otherwise.  I've also taken to removing my address from my resume ( I replaced it with my LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/molecularvirologist  Please connect if you read the blog!)  I've acquired a Google voice phone number in the San Diego area, which should complement my actual cell phone number in WA.  And, I am constantly escalating my view of what counts as aggressive.

Given that I don't have a daily work site to attend to, I am using some of my time to visit family members out West.  Since there are a couple recruiters out there that I have been dying to talk to, I checked with the Oracle of Recruiting ( Steve @LevyRecruits), who said yes, try and make face to face meetings.  Give them a big window of time to schedule in, and give myself lots of time to regroup.  So, I'm trying it.  Let me make this clear, these are people whom have jobs listed I think I would be great for, who won't return my calls or emails, have a copy of my resume and still have their job posted.  All signs point to this job not working, but I still think I have a lot to offer their organization.  I'm actually a little scared about what I would do if someone agreed to meet, but in the arms race of job hunting, I'll do whatever crazy thing it takes to get hired.

No comments:

Post a Comment